Tired of being put in a box? Wanted to do a bunch of different things, but forced to do a set of tasks repeatedly which don’t allow you to discover and explore your full personality? Want a career in something you are passionate about, but don’t know how? Want to be your own boss and have the freedom to travel on the job? Want to learn and earn at the same time? Want to speak to and interact with achievers in different fields, make a real difference to the world and follow your heart? Wake up whenever you want to each morning without an alarm clock, work from home and not be answerable to anyone? Tired of having to shave every morning, work in formal clothes and constantly maintain “professional appearances”?
Anybody who has worked for even a year in a 9 to 5 job knows the stresses and pressures that come with it. Work-life balance completely in chaos and frustrated bosses intent on making people around them equally frustrated with artificial deadlines, vague and contradictory instructions, and sudden last minute work. 🙁
Having borne the brunt of this daily drudgery ourselves, we are determined to not let others suffer the same fate.
Especially those of us who were into sports in our school and college days, understand how the brain stops functioning every evening from 5 to 7 pm. Yet we are stuck in office, coaxing the mind to concentrate. The formal clothes start strangling us and we yearn to stretch our legs, grow our beards or hair, wear jeans or shorts and not plod through bumper to bumper traffic twice a day.
“When did life become so straitjacketed?” You wonder.
What if we told you that all is not lost? That you can follow your passion, while also making money. That instead of being stuck in a cubicle with stale, air conditioned air that smells like yesterday, you can instead be constantly travelling and working semi-outdoors in state of the art sports arenas?
At Ekalavyas, work is play. And what more, you’ll get paid for it!
Those of you sneakily reading this in your office in minimised tabs afraid of a boss coming up from behind, consider this your red-pill blue-pill moment.
Work at Ekalavyas in its content and editorial team:
Range of Tasks
- Feature Writing (Analytical/Opinion based pieces)
- Interviews with Indian and NBA Players, Coaches, Referees, Administrators, Celebrities)
- Tournament Coverage
- Press releases (daily match reports)
- Live play by play commentary
- Basic action and still photography
- Basic Videography
- Editing work for text/audio/video/images (in terms of editing not only your work but also other people’s work)
- Uploading Press Releases that get emailed to us
- Social Media Updates on Instagram, FB, Twitter, Vine and YouTube
- SEO knowledge i.e. making articles/youtube videos/social media posts Search Engine Optimised
- Creating memes & GIFs & embedding them in posts
- Creating & Managing media mailing lists
Skills & resources needed
- Should know how to use WordPress & other Content Management Systems
- Should have good writing skills
- Calmness under pressure (especially when press releases have to be sent to media by a certain time)
- Self-motivated (should be able to set your own deadlines, finding & creating your own work, be your own boss, and not expect others to keep instructing you, self-learning, learn on the go)
- Non-complaining attitude (i.e. appreciating that mundane tasks might have to be done from time to time)
- Should have imbibed a sportsperson attitude (i.e. teamwork, deflecting credit, acknowledging the role of others in your success, humility and hardwork)
- Passion for development of sports in India/Ability to see the bigger picture/ Positive outlook
- Keen desire to keep learning & growing/ Versatility i.e. willingness to handle multiple different tasks out of your comfort zone (e.g. writing articles + photography)
- ‘Adjusting’ kinda person (esp. Willingness to travel, often on the cheap)
- Inter-personal skills/ pleasant disposition/ curiosity
- Should have sound basketball knowledge > if not then sport knowledge > if not then just common sense and willingness to learn
- Should know how to record basic audio & video, as well as basic editing skills (watermarking, cropping, resizing, basic familiarity with using media player, exploring free online softwares etc.)
- Awareness of copyright principles & laws
- Not afraid to say I don’t know/ I don’t understand
- Basic laptop/camera or camera phone/ audio recorder/datacard
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Excel/Spreadsheets
- Full Proficiency in English (reading/writing/speaking), and at least basic conversational proficiency in one other language
If you think you have what it takes to be part of Team Ekalavyas, complete this online interview and reach us on firstname.lastname@example.org in case of any queries.