3×3 Basketball in India is growing by leaps and bounds in India. Already a popular format in pick-up basketball, in 2017, India got its first 3×3 Pro Basketball League called ‘3BL‘. This has helped the shorter format of 3×3 basketball in India gain credibility.
- Indian boys team gets silver at 3×3 U17 Asia Cup; qualifies for 2023 U18 FIBA 3×3 World Cup.
- Delhi Divas (women) and Delhi Storm (men) participate in Red Bull Half Court World Finals in Cairo, Egypt
- 3BL becomes the first and only Basketball Pro League in India to get the recognition of the Basketball Federation of India (BFI).
- In June, decision taken to move the FIBA 3×3 Olympic Qualifying Tournament, initially scheduled to be held in Bengaluru, to Austria due to COVID-19 pandemic-related concerns. This put paid to India’s hopes of competing for a place in the 2021 Tokyo Olympics.
- First season of 3BL‘s women league is held, along with the second season of the men’s league, in Punjab
- First season of 3BL is conducted successfully, featuring 8 teams across different Indian cities.
- The showcase event for India’s first 3×3 Pro Basketball League, ‘3BL- Road To Mexico’ held in Gurugram.
- Indian international star, and 2016 NBA D-League draftee, Palpreet Singh moves to Japan to play professional 3×3 basketball for Team AGLEYMINA.EXE, replacing fellow Punjab and India player Amjyot Singh Gill.
- At the 2016 FIBA 3×3 World Tour Final, Team Hamamatsu (Japan) comprising 4 Indian origin players — Rohit Bakshi (Indian entrepreneur born and brought up in Japan), Inderbir Gill (a US national of Indian origin), Bikramjit Gill (a Canadian of Indian origin), Amjyot Singh Gill (Indian national team player) — finish runners up.
- Amjyot’s performances at the World Tour Final take him to the top of the 3×3 player rankings in the rest of the world category.
- Indian men are crowned champions at the 3×3 South Asian Basketball Association (SABA) Qualifiers in Colombo, Sri Lanka, and achieve a top 8 finish at the 3×3 PREMIER.EXE World Games in Chengdu, China.
- Indian boys and girls dominate the FIBA Asia 3X3 U18 Championships in Bangkok en route to identical silver medal finishes.
- Indian women win gold at the 2013 FIBA Asia 3X3 Basketball Championship in Qatar.
- Indian women win gold at the 3rd Asian Beach Games in China.
- Indian boys & girls teams participate in 1st FIBA 3×3 U18 World Championship in Italy.
If you’ve come this far…
Appeal to our readers: Ekalavyas is India’s first and only basketball media company. We are not foreign-funded, nor investor-backed. Your support and encouragement have got us this far. We now need your financial assistance to ensure we can keep providing you timely, accurate and important information. Please contribute via https://www.instamojo.com/@ekalavyas 🙏🏾. We are accepting contributions as low as Rs. 9/- (excluding a small processing fee charged by the payment gateway provider). Thank you for playing a part in keeping media independent and objective!
Ekalavyas now on Telegram! Stay up-to-date on all the breaking news around Indian Basketball, by subscribing to the EkBallIndia Telegram Channel.