- The 21st Best Mart 360° Super Kung Sheung Cup International Basketball Invitation Championship will be held in Hong Kong at the Queen Elizabeth stadium between 13th to 18th December
- There are 9 participating teams divided into 3 preliminary round groups of 3 teams each.
- Apart from the Indian National team, national teams of Malaysia, Thailand and Singapore are participating. Three local Hong Kong teams, as well as club teams from USA and China are the other sides in the fray.
- In the lead up to this Championship, the Indian men’s team has been training in Indore for almost three weeks.
- The Indian team sees the return of established stars Vishesh Bhriguvanshi, Amritpal Singh, Pratham Singh, Yadwinder Singh, Rikin Pethani, Arvind Arumugam, Aravind Annadurai, Akilan Pari and Prasanna Venkatesh. Chandigarh’s 24-year-old centre Ravi Bhardwaj who made his international debut earlier this year, retains his place in the side.
- Junior India captain P Baladhaneshwar and Karnataka’s Anil Kumar, will be making their senior India debuts.
- The side will be captained by Bhriguvanshi, head coached by Tamil Nadu’s S Bhaskar with the assistance of Karnataka’s Srinivasa Murthy.
- India’s opening league match will be against Hong Kong, Winling on 13th followed by against Thailand on 15th.
New Delhi/ Bengaluru, 10th December 2016: The Indian senior men’s basketball team is all set to participate in the 21st Best Mart 360° Super Kung Sheung Cup International Basketball Invitation Championship that will take place in Hong Kong. The tournament will be conducted between 13th to 18thDecember at the Queen Elizabeth stadium.
The 12 member roster was finalized during the National Coaching Camp at National Basketball Academy (Indore, Madhya Pradesh), which took place from 28th November onwards. They will leave from Indore later tonight at 08:50 PM and will travel via Mumbai to Hong Kong.
During the Indore camp, former Australian National Women’s team assistant coach Mr Damian Cotter paid a visit, conducting special training sessions. His visit was coordinated with the assistance of Bengaluru based sports management company Pursuit India Sports & Entertainment Private Limited.
“Ours is a settled line up and we have been performing well against top Asian sides in the last few years. We are hopeful of winning both our league matches and progressing to the semifinals,” said Head Coach S Bhaskar.
Indian Squad for 21st Best Mart 360° Super Kung Sheung Cup International Basketball Invitation Championship 2016.
|Date of Birth
|Place of Birth||Height
(cm)(ft and inches)
|4||Bhardwaj||Ravi||31/10/1992||Chandigarh||Chandigarh||207 (6’ 9.5’’)||100||C|
|7||Bukanere Krishne Gowda||Anil Kumar||31/07/19898||Mandya||Karnataka||185 (6’)||68||F|
|8||Pratham Singh||01/10/1991||Bhilai||Chhattisgarh||189 (6’ 2”)||82||G|
|9||Bhriguvanshi||Vishesh (c)||13/09/1991||Varanasi||Uttar Pradesh||195 (6’ 4.5’’)||95||G/F|
|10||Amritpal Singh||05/01/1991||Ganna Pind||Punjab
|207 (6’ 9.5’’)||110||C|
|24||Poiyamozhi||Baladhaneshwar||07/12/1999||Ullikkottai Mannargudi||Tamil Nadu||180
*PG – Point Guard / Feeder, G – Guard, F – Forward, G/F – Wing, PF – Power Forward, C – Centre, PF/C – Post
13) Head Coach: Bhaskar Sappaniambalam
14) Assistant Coach: Srinivasa Murthy
15) Physio: Raj Kumar Dubey
16) Team Manager: Ashok Kumar Sahu
17) Referee: Rakesh Ramalingaiah
About the Super Kung Sheung Cup International Championship
The 21st edition of the Super Kung Sheung Cup will be played at the Queen Elizabeth Stadium, Hong Kong.
- National Team of India
- National Team of Malaysia
- National Team of Singapore
- National Team of Thailand
- Southern California Fukienese Association Basketball Team (USA)
- Guangxi Wei Zhuang Basketball Club, China
- National Team of Hong Kong, SCAA
- National Team of Hong Kong, Eastern Long Lions
- National Team of Hong Kong, Winling
The 9 participating teams will be split into three groups (A, B & C). The initial stage will be played in the typical round robin fashion. The best team in each group and the 2nd best team among the remaining teams will qualify for the semi-finals.
Group 1: National Team of Malaysia, Guangxi Wei Zhuang Basketball Club (China), National Team of Hong Kong (Eastern Long Lions)
Group 2: National Team of Hong Kong (SCAA), National Team of Singapore, Southern California Fukienese Association Basketball Team (USA)
Group 3: National Team of Thailand, National Team of India, National Team of Hong Kong (Winling)
Southern California Fukienese Association won the 20th Super Kung Sheung Cup 2015.
India’s History at the Championship
India last participated in the 17th iteration of the Championship in 2010 and reached the semifinals, before eventually finishing fourth, behind SC Fukienese Association, Philippines and Hong Kong.
India’s League Round Schedule (Tentative times given in IST)
13th December: vs National Team of Hong Kong, Winling @ 6:15 PM
15th December: vs National Team of Thailand @ 1:30 PM
About Basketball Federation of India
The Basketball Federation of India or BFI is the governing and controlling body of basketball in India, and is responsible for the development and promotion of the sport at all levels. BFI has been involved in conducting camps, clinics, events, and training sessions at its academies for the development of basketball. BFI came into being in 1935 and took complete control over Indian basketball in 1950. Prior to that time, the Indian Olympic Association handled the conduct of Indian basketball championships. Since 1950, the BFI has been conducting various such championships, from the grassroots to senior team participation in international tournaments. In addition, the BFI has been responsible for the establishment of strong sub-junior and junior level programs. The BFI has to its credit produced several international players of repute, among them 17 have been bestowed with the honour of Arjuna Awards. Earlier in June 2015, 19-year-old Satnam Singh Bhamara made history by becoming the first Indian national to be drafted by an NBA team, when he was selected by the Dallas Mavericks.
More information at www.basketballfederationindia.org