Bengaluru, 17th June, 2016: The 16th and 17th of June saw Vijaya Bank (men), Mounts Club (women) and DYES Vidyanagar (women) bag wins by a substantial margin. The S Blues and Beagles BC match on the 4th day of the Sahakarnagar Invitational State Basketball Tournament was a closely fought affair, with the game being decided by just 4 points.
Results on the 16th
- Vijaya Bank 73 (Naveen 15, Roby Thomas 10) bt MCHS 40 (Praveen 18) [HT 42-23]
- S. Blues 73 (Rohit 17, Vinay 13)bt NGV BC 59 (Rajath 15, Gokul 13) [HT 34-28]
- Mounts Club 52 (Lopamudra 20, Roshini 10) bt IBBC 35 (Deepa 10, Gabriela 10) [HT 27-22]
- Beagles BC 40 (Chandana 15) bt NGV BC 10 [HT 25-6]
Results on the 17th
- S. Blues 73 (Kiran 19, Akash 11) bt Beagles BC 69 (Etang 18, Chetan 15) [HT 30-25]
- Young Orions 56 (Edwin 29) bt IBBC 43 (Shiva 27) [HT 31-25]
- Mounts club 37 (Kruthika 11) bt Beagles BC 28 (Sanjana 14) [HT 17-7]
- DYES Vidyanagar 52 (Aishwarya 15, Priyanka 11) bt DYES Mysore 37 (Kavana 12, Supriya 10) [HT 22-24]
You can view the scores of the first two days, here.
About Karnataka Basketball
The official recognition to the game of basketball was given in the year 1934 by the Indian Olympic Association. This gave a fillip to the game, and the first National basketball Championship was organized in 1934 by the Indian Olympic Association.
Basketball was introduced to the Mysore State by Y.M.C.A. in 1920s. The Y.M.C.A. has played a vital role not only in spreading the message of sports in Bengaluru, but also developing organized system to promote sports. Mr. A.C. Das, Director of Physical Education and General Secretary Y.M.C.A. took up the primary responsibility. The Mysore State team did not participate in the first National Basketball Championship conducted by the Indian Olympic Association that was held at Delhi. It was in 1936 for the first time Mysore state basketball team was selected and fielded by A.C. Das at Lahore National Championship.
Captain M.G. Vijayasarathy, a product of Y.M.C.A. Chennai was another officer who rendered a great service in popularizing the game in the state. He was like a fatherly figure in the field of Mysore State sports and was responsible for promoting basketball along with his friends and colleagues in Colleges and other Institutions.
Basketball in Karnataka achieved New heights in the year 2014, because for the first time in its history, the state men’s team participated in a six nation International Basketball Tournament along with teams from Australia, Philippines, Singapore,Taipei and hosts Malaysia, for The Chief Ministers trophy at Penang, Malaysia.