Bengaluru, 18th February 2016: The 17th All India Inter-Collegiate Sports Fest “VIE” concluded late last night at the Kittur Rani Chennamma Stadium in the city. The fest ended in exciting fashion, with both the men and women’s basketball finals going right down to the wire before Jain women and Sathyabama men pulled through in the end.
Hosts Jain University were crowned overall champions of the event.
In volleyball, after round robin games between the final four teams, in the women’s section BMS College triumphed with Christ University coming second, while in men, Sathyabama University were crowned champions with Jain University finishing second.
Earlier in the day, DB Jain College were crowned champions in the Kabaddi men, overpowering Presidency College, Chennai 45-22, as the 17th All India Inter-collegiate Sports Fest “VIE” entered its final day. In men’s cricket, Jain University beat Hindustan University, Chennai in the finals. An excellent batting and bowling performance saw Jain win by 88 runs.
The swimming, table tennis and badminton events had already concluded yesterday, and based on the overall performances, individual prizes were given to the following players:
- Swimming: Prithvi M of DSI College (Men) and Sneha T of Dr BR Ambedkar College (Women)
- Table Tennis: Rakesh, DG Vaishnav College (Men) and Madhubala, Christ College (Women)
- Badminton: Sahil Sipani (Men) and Reshma Karthik (Women)
17th Feb Evening
- Men- Sathyabama University, Chennai 67 (Arun 22, Vimal 17) bt Jain University, Bengaluru 63 (Kaif 25)
- Women- Jain University 53 (Roshini 23) bt MOP Vaishnav, Chennai 52 (Akshaya Adka 11, Sri Vidya 14, Prithi 11). Halftime score: Jain led 20-17
BASKETBALL 3RD- 4TH PLACE MATCHES
- Men- Christ University 55 (Abi 17) bt DG Vaishnav 36 (Akash 10)
- Women- PSG Krishnamal 70 (Keerthi 20) bt Hindustan University 62 (Sri Vidhya 14)
- Jain University 199/07 in 40 overs (Sharath BR 58, Pranav Bhatia 40; Vignesh 2/32, Aiyappan 2/33) Hindustan University 112/10 in 26.3 overs (Karthikeyan 30, Kavin 28; Abhishek 4/32, Prasidh 2/18) Jain won by 88 runs
VOLLEYBALL (MEN)-FINAL ROUND ROBIN LEAGUE BETWEEN 4 TEAMS
- Sathyabama University bt Jain University- 27-25, 25-19, 25-20
- Al-Ameen bt New Horizon- 25-22, 25-21, 25-22
- Jain University beat Al-Ameen college – 25-10, 25-17, 25-16
- Sathyabama University beat New Horizon -26-24 , 25-08 , 25-11
VOLLEYBALL (WOMEN)- FINAL ROUND ROBIN LEAGUE BETWEEN 4 TEAMS
- Christ University beat St. Francis, Hyderabad- 25-14, 25-15
- Jain University beat St Joseph’s Art and Science (3-1)
Best player- Vignesh Srinivas (Jain University)
17th Feb Morning
BASKETBALL (MEN) (Semi Final) (17.02.2016)
- Jain University 63 (Kaif 13, Yashas 23) bt Christ University 56 (Danny 15, Mattew 14). Half time score 28-30
- Sathyabama University Chennai 76 (Prem kumar 19, Mayil Raj 26 ) bt D G Vaishnav Chennai 62 (Harish 10, Akash 21). Half Time score 37-40
BASKETBALL (WOMEN) (Semi Final)
- M O P Vaishnav, Chennai 53 (Srividya 24, Vyishali 12) bt PSG Krishnamal, Coimbatore 50 (Keerthi 22, Rini 14). Half time score 23-25
- Jain University 70 (Roshini 17, Mathuravaani 29) bt Hindustan University, Chennai 52 (Sri Vidya 18, Varshanandhini 10, Preethi 10) Half time score 33-19
About VIE 2016
This year 1500+ athletes from 62 colleges are participating in 11 different sports: cricket (men), kabaddi (men), hockey (men), football (men- local colleges only), basketball (men and women), badminton (men and women), table tennis (men and women), tennis (men and women), tennis (men and women), swimming (men and women), volleyball (men and women) and karate (men and women- local colleges only).
Out of the 62 participating colleges, 24 are outstation teams, while 38 teams are from Bengaluru. Teams from Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh will be participating, making this a massive national event.
Keeping in mind the rising popularity of kabaddi, for the first time, the sport has been introduced in VIE-2016, alongwith women’s volleyball and karate.
“VIE” started under the guidance of Sri R Chenraj Jain, Chairman, Sri Bhagawan Mahaveer Jain College (SBMJC) in the year 2000 and was conducted under floodlights as a local tournament with over 20 colleges from all over the state participated in the mega event where SBMJC finished as the overall champions. Last year, 40 college teams from across India including two from Sri Lanka competed in various indoor and outdoor sporting events. Guests included former NBA champion Shandon Anderson. For more information, visit: www.jainvie.com/. Facebook: www.facebook.com/Jain-University-Sports
About Jain Group of Institutions (JGI)
Established in the year 1990, Jain University has reached unprecedented heights in the field of education. The college has also created an exclusive niche for itself in the sports arena. Jain University has produced many sportsmen of national and international repute and is making a conscious effort to encourage them to fulfil the nation’s dream of winning an Olympic medal. The Director of Sports is Dr UV Sankar.
Notable alumni from the field of sports include Pankaj Advani (World Billiards & Snooker Champion), Shikha Tandon (international swimmer), Rohan Bopanna (international tennis player), Anup Sridhar (international badminton) and Robin Uthappa (international cricketer).
The University offers sports scholarships to help athletes who are competing at national or international level to meet the extra costs of elite participation. The scheme provides a personal academic coaching, complete tuition fee waiver, free access to the university sports facilities and guaranteed university accommodation for the duration of study.
Jain University (formerly Sri Bhagawan Mahaveer Jain College, SBMJC) is declared deemed to be University under section 3 of the UGC act, 1956 by the Ministry of Human Resource Development of the Union Government vide notification No.F-9-57/2007-U.3 (A) Ministry of HRD, GOI December 19, 2008 & July 24, 2009.