BENGALURU/NEW DELHI, 23 October 2015: High on their 12-year-best 8th place finish from the recent FIBA Asia Championship, four key members from the Indian men’s basketball team are all set to return to China to participate in the 3×3 PREMIER.EXE World Games 2015.
The squad, comprising guards Akilan Pari and Vinay Kaushik, and forwards Arvind Arumugam and Gurvinder Singh Gill, flew out to Chengdu, China late last night. The two day tournament will see all the preliminary round matches played on 24th October, with knockout games the next day.
The venue of the Games is Ito Yokado (Gaoxin Mall) in Chengdu, the capital of Sichuan province in southwest China. 12 teams from across the globe are participating in this shortest format of competitive basketball, divided into four Pools of three teams each. Besides India, there are teams from Japan, China, Korea, Canada, Greece and Slovenia. India is placed in Pool C alongside Korea Jeonju and Japan Dreams.
The tournament is structured in a preliminary league cum knockout format. The top two teams from each Pool qualify to the knockout stages. The winners and runners up will be awarded prize money of USD 5000 and 3000 respectively, while a supplementary prize will also be given to the Most Valuable Player (MVP) of the tournament.
Pool A: Greece Tigers, China Turn Up, Japan Stars
Pool B: Japan National Team, China 30+, Slovenia SportClub
Pool C: Korea Jeonju, Japan Dreams, India National Team
Pool D: China Dalishuishou, Korea Busan, Canada Prime
India’s preliminary round schedule for 24th Oct*
Game 1: vs Korea Jeonju, 2:28 pm IST [4:58 pm local time]
Game 2: vs Japan Dreams, 4:25 pm IST [6:45 pm local time]
*Knockout rounds will be played on 25th Oct.
INDIAN SQUAD FOR THE 3×3 PREMIER.EXE World Games 2015
|Name||Date of Birth
|Place of Birth
|03||Vinay Kaushik||30/08/1991||Lakhan Majra||Haryana||189||88||F|
|66||Akilan Pari||20/07/1989||Chennai||Tamil Nadu||180||70||PG|
|96||Gurvinder Singh Gill||21/01/1996||Chandigarh||Punjab/ Haryana||200||90||PF|
*PG – Point Guard / Feeder, G – Guard, F – Forward, G/F – Wing, PF – Power Forward, C – Centre, PF/C – Pivot
About 3×3 Basketball- Basic Rules*
- Four members per team. Three active players on court at all times, with one rolling substitute.
- Played using only one half of a traditional basketball court.
- Traditional three point shots from behind the arc will be awarded 2 points
- Every shot inside the arc is awarded 1 point.
- Every successful freethrow is awarded 1 point.
- Match duration:10 minutes (with stoppages for dead ball situations and freethrows)
- The team which scores 21 points or more within the match duration, wins the game. If neither team is able to reach 21 points, then the team with the higher points after the conclusion of 10 minutes is declared the winner.
- If the scores are tied, then an extra period of time is played. Here the first team to score 2 points in overtime wins the game.
- Each offensive possession will be for 12 seconds only.
- Following each successful field goal or made free throw, a player from the non-scoring team will resume the game by dribbling or passing the ball from inside the court directly underneath the basket (not from behind the end line) to a place on the court behind the arc.
- If the defensive team steals or blocks the ball, it must return the ball behind the arc (by passing or dribbling).
* Actual Tournament rules may vary