Babykutty/Press Release: Kerala Police stormed into the finals after beating CRPF 66-27 to set up a title clash against Punjab in the 62nd All India Police Games (basketball) here at Kerala Varma College in Thrissur.
It was in 1981 in Thiruvananthapuram that Kerala, under V V Harilal last won the Championship. Now, incidentally V V Harilal is the Manager of the Kerala team that is being coached by Thomas A J. Kerala led 49-29 at half time before winning the game 77-66. Jomon Jose top scored for the winners with 26 points and was ably supported by Sreejith Nair scoring 21 points.
In an evenly fought 2nd semi final, Punjab, with international Ranbir Singh top scoring with 22 points, defeated its arch rival BSF Jalandar 71-66.
Earlier in the quarterfinal matches, Kerala defeated Haryana 77-60, CRPF defeated Uttarakhand 44-25, Punjab beat Jammu & Kashmir 81-58 and BSF beat Maharashtra 64-54.
- Kerala Police 66 (Jomon Jose 26, Sreejith Nair 20) bt CRPF 27 (Bijomon PA 10)
- Punjab Police 77 (Ranbir Singh 22, Komal PS 14) bt BSF Jalandar 66 (Mod Singh 17, Mahesh 15, Gurwinder Singh 10)
- Punjab (Ranbir Singh 27, Amritpal Singh 21, Gurkripal Singh 9) bt Jammu & Kashmir 58 (Iqbal Singh 26, Rahul Manhas 12)
- BSF Jalandar 64 (Davinder Hooda 21, Bharatdeep Singh 10, Gurwinder Singh 10) bt Maharashtra 54 (Mahesh Nagne 12, Yuvaraj Shemeree 10)
- Kerala 72 (Jomon Jose 23,
Sreejith 18, Abhilash 14) bt Haryana 60 (Deepak 23, Vikas 18)
- CRPF 44 (Sandeep 15) bt Uttakakhand 25 (Ajay R 10)
Losers Final: Friday, 24th January, 6.30 am, CRPF Vs BSF
Final: Friday, 24th January, 7.30 am, Kerala Police Vs Punjab Police