Babykutty/Press Release: Defending Champions Punjab Police and hosts Kerala have got off to a good start at the 62nd All India Police Games (Basketball) being held in Thrissur.
In various league matches played on the opening day, Punjab Police defeated Odhissa 94-46, Kerala beat Gujarat 83-24, Uttar Pradesh beat Rajasthan 71-53, Jammu and Kashmir beat West Bengal 53-29, Harayana got better of Bihar 68-23 and Jharkhand beat Madhya Pradesh 43-28.
25 teams are in action and have been divided into eight groups. The teams will play on a league cum knock out basis, with the best team from each group progressing to the knock out stages.
Group A Punjab, Rajasthan, UP and Odhissa
Group B Haryana, Bihar & Chhattisgarh
Group C B.S.F, Karnataka & Tamil Nadu
Group D C.R.P.F, C.I.S.F & S.S.B
Group E J & K, West Bengal & I.T.B.P
Group F Kerala, Gujarat & Andhra Pradesh
Group G Maharashtra, Jharkhand & Madhya Pradesh
Group H Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand & Railway Protection Force
- Punjab Police 94 (Harminder Singh 21, Ranbir Singh 18, Komalpreet Singh 14) bt Odhissa 46 (Sanjeeb KU 20)
- Uttar Pradesh 71 (Shyam Vir Singh 18, Intjar Singh 17, Sachin Pamwar 11) bt Rajasthan 53 (Raviraj Singh 19, Deepak 14)
- Haryana 68 (Vikas 19, Murali 10) bt Bihar 23 (Manvendra 12)
- Jammu & Kashmir 53 (Iqbal Singh 25) bt West Bengal 29 (Chandranath Paul 13)
- Kerala 83 (Jomon Jose 21, Anu Mohan Das 16, Sreejith Nair 10) bt Gujarat 21)
- Jharkhand 43 (Shamshad 10,
Dinesh 10) bt Madhya Pradesh 38 (Basanth S 12, Naveen A 10)