The first edition of the basketball event at the 2nd All India Women’s Invitational Dusera Sports Tournament in Mysore will see Bhilai Steel Plant, Chhattisgarh take on South Central Railway, Secunderabad in the finals.
In a high scoring encounter, Bhilai Steel Plant got the better of Mysore Division, winning 81-73. After matching the Bhilai team shot for shot in the first half, their opponents Mysore Division, Karnataka lost the plot in the third quarter to give away the match. The Bhilai team features 6ft 10 inch (206 cms) star Poonam Chaturvedi, who was part of the Indian girls squad that won the silver at the inaugural u-18 FIBA Asia three on three Championship earlier this year. In this semifinal game, Poonam scored a mammoth 52 points to ensure her team’s victory.
In the second semifinals, South Central Railway height advantage caused problems to their opponents Rising Star, Chennai. South Central maintained a comfortable ten point lead for most of the match to cruise through to the finals. The finals between South Central Railway, Secunderabad and Bhilai Steel Plant, Chhattisgarh will be played at 3:30 pm tomorrow (12/10/13). The third and fourth place match between the losing semifinalists, Mysore Division, Karnataka and Rising Star, Chennai is scheduled for 8 am tomorrow morning.
Results for Matches played on 11/10/13
Evening Semifinals Results
1) Bhilai Steel Plant, Chhattisgarh 81 (Poonam Chaturvedi 52, Anjana Ekka 19) bt Mysore Division, Karnataka 73 (Nimisha KK 25, Reshma G 18 ) HT: 22-22
2) South Central Railway, Secunderabad 60 (Manda Meshram 17, Gayathri 16 ) bt Rising Star, Chennai 49 ( P Diviya 16, Suganya 12 ) HT: 34-24
Morning League Match Results
3) Mysore Division 53 ( Reshma 18, Navaneetha 16 ) bt Rising Stars, Chennai 42 ( Aishwarya Natraj 10, Gomathy 10 ) HT: 26-22
4) Bhilai Steel Plant 81 ( Poonam Chaturvedi 32, Anjana Ekka 10) bt Alpha, Tamil Nadu 54 ( Sangeetha 17, Ragila Begum 15 ) HT: 49-23
5) South Central Railway 53 ( Anusha Anto 22, Manda Meshram 12 ) bt Belgaum Division 18 ( Kavana 7, Madhuri K. 4 ) HT: 27-15