On day four, eight teams separated themselves from the rest of the pack to book their place in the semi-finals to be played on August 14th. In the men’s semi-finals, IOB, Chennai will face the speedy Punjab state team while ONGC, Dehradun will battle Cochin Customs. In the women’s competition, Southeast Central Railway will take on South Central Railway in the first semi-final and Southern Railway will be up against Western Railway in the second semi-final
Four of the five league matches played today featured men’s teams. Kerala State Electricity Board and Indian Army bowed out of the tournament on a high after their consolation wins against Indian Navy and Rail Coach Factory respectively.
The two most successful teams in recent history, IOB and ONGC, were bolstered today by the return of their internationals from the just concluded FIBA Asia Championships. Current Indian power forwards Riken Pethani and Amjyot Singh immediately had an impact for IOB with both of them scoring in double digits. IOB went on to beat Cochin Customs 75-48. ONGC too benefited from the arrival of 6ft 11 inch centre Amrit Pal Singh who top scored with 25 points, and in the process subjected his home state Punjab to an 86-61 loss.
In the solitary women’s game of the evening, South Central Railway qualified to the semis after surviving a scare against Kerala State Electricity Board, winning by a single point.
Results of matches played on 13/08/2013:
- Kerala State Electricity Board 61 (Albiw Baby 26, Ajeeth Suguwan 10, Anoop Devassia 8) bt Indian Navy 38 (Saurabh 18, Bibin Chacko 9, Damam Preet Singh 7)
- Indian Army 77 (V. Das 18, Sowmya Ranjan 16, Navneet Singh 10) bt Rail Coach Factory 66 (Bijender K. R. 27, Sadar Khan 11, Mikhil 11)
- IOB, Chennai 75 (Sivabalan 18, Riken Pethani 13, Amjyot Singh 12) bt Cochin Customs 48 (Subhash J Shenoi 14, Akhil Sunny 12, Abhilash T. S. 8)
- ONGC, Dehradun 86 (Amrit Pal Singh 25, Trideep Rai 19, Murali Krishna R. 9) bt Punjab State 61 (Ranbir Singh 19, Vikramjit Singh 15, Amanjot Singh 10)
- South Central Railway 56 (Gayathri M. 17, Aashna Ujwanay 16, Anusha Anto 9) bt Kerala State Electricity Board 55 (Ashey Mathew 13, Shilji George 13, Rosmy Thomas 11)